Posted on May 05, 2014
My hope is for you make a positive contribution in the life of at least one young man. The following information will provide additional insight for impacting the lives of young men.
- Teach them to uphold spiritual, family, and educational values.
- Demonstrate love by showing them affection. It is perfectly acceptable to tell a young man that you love them or to give them a hug from time to time.
- Show love by providing discipline and consistent structure in their lives. Always remind young men of the things they need to hear, not what they want to hear.
- Demand that they respect themselves, adults, women, and authority figures.
- Spend quality time with them and allow time for daily communication.
- Show them the value of academics by visiting their schools, attending conferences, helping them with homework, and taking them on college visits.
- Discuss the importance of careers and take them on job shadow experiences.
- Demonstrate the importance of serving the community through volunteering.
- If possible, coach a team and use the sport as an opportunity to teach life skills.
- Praise them with words of encouragement when they put forth their best effort at home, in school and in other endeavors.
All of this information and more can be found in A Complete Mentoring Guide For Developing Successful Young Men. The guide was written specifically to serve as an effective tool for mentors who wish to see young men achieve success.